Atikokan Literacy Centre
Atikokan Adult Learning Centre in a non-profit, charitable, Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) community based program funded by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU). We provide free, confidential, learner centered, upgrading for adults. Assisting adults to attain their personal goals whether it is for improved opportunity in the workplace, further education and training or increased personal independence. We have experienced, qualified staff that is committed in assisting adult learners to reach their goals. The Atikokan Literacy Centre is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors with experience and knowledge in adult education, policy development and strategic planning.
At Atikokan Literacy Incorporated’s Adult Learning Centre we believe in:
- Welcoming all adult learners
- Treating people with dignity and respect
- Working as a team in a supportive and caring organization
- Involving learners in decision-making
We envision the Adult Learning Centre in Atikokan as well-known and well used by the adults of Atikokan and surrounding area as the first place to go for free literacy and basic skills services.
Atikokan Literacy Incorporated’s Adult Learning Centre provides free, confidential, and learner-centered tutoring for adults who want to improve their life and learning skills.
- Providing a supportive learning environment that is barrier free, non-judgmental, confidential and that values differences in individual
- A workable ratio of learners to instructors
- Assessment based learning based on goals and timelines set by the individual
Board memberes provide vision and set goals for the organization. They are elected for a two year term at the Annual General Meeting. Meet occur once per month.
Board Of Directors
- Tammy Faykes
- Jo Ann DeGagne
- Yvonne Blundon
- Bridget Davidson
- Mary Makarenko
- Brad Beyak
- William Zerebeski
Staff – Administration
- Becky Groulx
- Tammy Doucette
Adult Literacy Instructors
- Brenda Hainey
- Jeannine Stus
- Melanie Luptak