There are two ways in which a person can volunteer at the Adult Learning Centre.
- Volunteer to be a tutor of adults—keep reading here.
- Volunteer to help our Board—go to the About Us link at top of page.
Volunteering to be an instructor can be a rewarding experience. Our instructors are very busy with the many adult learners who are currently attending our facility. If you are interested in tutoring adults in any high school subjects, and believe you could be of assistance, you can apply to be a volunteer instructor.
Adult learners at Atikokan Literacy’s Adult Learning Centre are offered individual, one-to-one instruction in a program structured to meet their individual needs. You and your adult learner will design and plan your own tutoring sessions to work towards accomplishing goals set by the adult learner.
To provide friendly, one-to-one instruction for an individual working on basic math, or basic reading and writing, or basic computer skills. This instruction occurs within an organization which provides free, confidential, learner-centered, tutoring for adults who want to improve their life and learning skills.
2 to 4 hours per week with your choice of hours and days within a standard (school hours) work week.
- Attend tutor orientation
- Commit for a minimum of 4 months
- Be a friendly, positive guide and teacher
- Attend at scheduled times with adult learner
- Briefly, in note form, record goals met
- Friendly, caring and respectful attitude
- Patience and good listening skills
- Basic literacy and or numeracy skills
- See immediate results of your volunteer efforts
- Make a real difference in someone’s life
- Meet new and interesting people
- Sharpen your own skills while teaching someone else